Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Dinner at Grandpa's



Probably looks, at first glance, a lot like last week, and--sure enough--there are broad similarities; I'm learning to use parchment paper, no matter what time of year it is, so whitefish from the oven: this week, a whole trout with butter, lemon oil, lemon pepper, Tarragon, and celery salt, being too lazy to go downstairs to fetch in some Lovage. The Pasta is Whole Wheat Orioccioche ("Little Ears"); Bionaturalae makes the only one I've tasted I really liked.

The Vegetables bring some familiar cast members back: Fava beans and Asparagus, with a odd little addition: Seawort. I love Favas, despite their association with a certain fictional evil genius (Still: Fava beans with Chianti and Liver??!! Anyway.) and despite the fact they are almost as much trouble as they are worth. They deliver what Butterbeans promise. Seawort is tender, grassy, and Salty, with many minerals, as it is a sea plant; it works as a seasoning as much as an additional vegetable element.

The wine is an Austrian 06 Huber Gruener Veltliner.

11 comments:

Jane R said...

Oh, yum.

I make the very same Bionaturae pasta. I like your combo of that pasta with the greens; creative, healthy, and beautiful.

And glad you are following suit with the fish in parchment. Since I started making fish that way I've never had an over-dry fish; once I had an overcook (flounder that totally fell apart into mush; then again, that could be the flounder and not the cookery) but otherwise all fishies have been delicious, and it also works well to serve to guests; everyone goes ooh, aah because it's wrapped in parchment in individual portions but it's the easiest thing in the world.

Thanks for the visual and imagination treat!

Unknown said...

I like anything from the ocean; including seaweeds like what they put in miso soup. With a couple of glasses of white wine, it's all good.

Fran said...

Oh my- what a feast!!!

I am jealous. Between you and the the Cunning Runt, my own meals are so pale and tasteless in comparison.

Jane R said...

P.S. I gotta try that seawort thing. Also the wine. Where does one get seawort?

Re: seaweed, I finally made something with that black Japanese seaweed (hijiki) last week and it was really good. It involved buckwheat noodles (soba) and a sauce with soy thing and garlic and I can't remember what else.

johnieb said...

It was at Whole Paycheck, next to the Favas.

The wine was a bargain: $ 9 in MA.

pj said...

I admire, but I lack the will to imitate. Maybe when Young PJ gets past the chicken nugget stage…

Unknown said...

chicken nuggets: a childhood staple:

PJ's comment makes me chuckle, as I was at my brother's house visiting last weekend and his grandson, age 20 months was there, nibbling on various samplings but not liking any of them much. His dad said to him: "Don't worry, Will, there's nuggets in the fridge."

pj said...

LOL, Pagan Sphinx. Fortunately, Young PJ has added pasta with homemade marinara sauce to his repetoire, and he is even beginning to eat salad. And he's only seven. I'm so proud.

Johnieb, you done got an award, son!

Allie said...

That sounds so yum.. and taking far more energy than I seem to have

pj said...

This is in response to the question you left in my comments:

I have a Mac, so all I did was click on the image (at Padre Mickey's, or Fran's, or at the original site) and drag it onto my desktop. I'm not sure how to do it with a PC. Hang on a minute.

Okay, on my husband's PC, I clicked the right-hand button on the mouse, and a menu came up asking if I want to copy the image, save it, etc.

Good luck!

johnieb said...

That worked, but it's not giving the links as such for some wicked reason.